Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sarah's Penguin Book

In this life we are encouraged to compare ourselves to others.  We are under constant pressure to live up to other people's expectations and to be smarter, richer, better-looking, more athletic, more popular et cetera than everyone else.  Famous lyrics echo this prevalent attitude the world has adopted.  

"Anything you can do,
I can do better.
I can do anything
Better than you."

We need not be proud or look down upon others but rather we need to stop worrying about living up to the world's expectations. We need to stop comparing ourselves to others.  We need to be ourselves.  Have some self-confidence.  You are a wonderful child of God with unique talents and abilities.  If you need a lesson in self-confidence I recommend my niece Sarah.  She certainly is very confident in herself and that is a good thing! Here is a humorous example from my sisters blog :)  
Here is what she told my sister, her mom.


Sarah: I'm all ready for high school.
Mom: Oh, really?
Sarah: I'm serious. I know so much about penguins. When I bring home my penguin book you're going to be amazed.



Now in this life we do not need to know much about penguins, but we do need to know the basics of the gospel.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Know that no matter what the world says you can be as confident as Sarah.  

You can say, 

You:  "I am all ready for life's challenges(Life is a test like school).
Mr:  Oh, really?
You:  I'm serious.  I know so much about God's plan for us, about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  When I bring home my marked scriptures and my notes you're going to be amazed.

Be happy.  Be confident.  Be You!

Photos:  nickutopia

4 comments:

  1. I did need that lesson! Thanks Elder Sabin and Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Sarah's confidence the first time I heard the story, and I especially loved how you related it to all of us! So true, a sure way to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete