Thursday, October 14, 2010

Do you like Broccoli?

I love my Dad.  One thing I admire about him is his speaking ability.  Whenever he speaks, or gives a talk, he includes stories, jokes, analogies et cetera to illustrate his point.  I love that because I know that as a little kid, whenever I would listen to a talk at church if there wasn't a story or something to grab my attention I was not going to make it through the talk without nodding off.  I try to model my talks after his to keep things interesting and I figure that applies to blogging as well :)  

God has told us that we need to become like little children in humility, faith, enthusiasm, love et cetera.  Little children display so many Christlike attributes as well as some humorous sayings It makes me think of my nieces and nephews praying at the dinner table or at night before they go to bed.  Since I do not remember the exact words of their prayers I would like to share a joke that makes the same point.  

"A 4-year-old boy was asked to give the meal blessing before dinner. The family members bowed their heads in expectation. He began his prayer, thanking God for all his friends, naming them one by one. 
       
Then he thanked God for Mommy, Daddy, brother, sister, Grandma, Grandpa, and all his aunts and uncles. Then he began to thank God for the food. He gave thanks for the turkey, the dressing, the fruit salad, the cranberry sauce, the pies, the cakes, even the Cool Whip.
       
Then he paused, and everyone waited-- and waited. After a long silence, the young fellow looked up at his mother and asked, "If I thank God for the broccoli, won't he know that I'm lying?"'

I like this joke because the little boy takes his prayer so seriously.  He doesn't want to lie to God.  We need to be just as open and sincere with God, our Father in Heaven, when we pray.  Do we take the time to really pour out our heart and commune with God or do we simply mumble a few rote words before our head hits the pillow?  This little boy named everyone and everything one by one in gratitude.  Think about that and make sure that you are taking your prayers seriously enough that you are expressing appreciation to Heavenly Father for those things you are grateful for.  I will let you decide if broccoli is included in that list.  :)

Pictures:  Broccoli

2 comments: