Saturday, July 17, 2010

Future missionary? You better believe it!

One of the greatest things about serving a mission is meeting people who are just ready for the gospel, people who want the truth so badly but don't know where to find it.  We refer to these people as elect, because everything just clicks with them.

Someone who epitomizes this, is an amazing guy I met named Michael.

Now I met Michael on chat back in December of 2009 and he was baptized not long after in January.  Although he came on chat to initially get help from me and learn the basic beliefs of our church from us, the missionaries, in the end I was the one that was doing the learning :) 

Here are a few things that stood out to me.....

Michael is a great example to me of being an example. I know kind of redundant huh?  I suppose what I mean is he exemplifies living your faith.  He stands up for his beliefs and is not afraid to do or say what is right even if it is not the popular or cool thing to do.  The thing I noticed the most about Michael is the enthusiasm he has for the gospel, something I wish all members showed (most of us take the gospel for granted).  After inviting all his friends to his baptism, he went straight into missionary mode sharing his new beliefs with everyone and in March was actually able to baptize Allyson, one of his friends who he invited to his baptism.

I joked with him that he was a better missionary then I am and he is not even called called full-time to do this.  It certainly lends truth to the phrase, "every member a missionary".  We all have the responsibility to share this gospel, this "good news", because it gives us such peace and joy, such comfort and happiness in our lives, why wouldn't we share that with others?

We need to pause our busy, crazy, up tempo, go-go-go lifestyles, and sit back and appreciate all we have.   Let's pause and think of those close to us who do not have the same knowledge that we do about our Heavenly Father and His plan for us.  Ok have you thought of someone now?  Good :)  So how would you  feel if you were in their position and they never bothered to share the gospel with you, they were too busy or nervous to change your life forever...?

Whenever you think that sharing the gospel is tough, or intimidating or that you can't make a difference, just remember that you can do it, that with the help of the Lord anything is possible.  Look for good examples you know that you can lean on and draw upon for inspiration.  As for me, whenever I find that my mission is tiring or hard, I just look at my friend Michael who is counting down the days until he can go on his mission...and I realize how much I love what I do.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're really showing how excited you were to meet someone you helped bring the gospel. :D

    ReplyDelete