Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Skype Call

So I know I have been really, really, really bad at posting.  There were a lot of things I had to work on for the mission that have taken my attention away from my blog, but I am back!  I am going to make sure to post more.  So without further ado here are some of my thoughts :)

What matters most to you?  What do you cherish?  What do you hold dear?  Now if you answered "my family" to any or all of those questions then we have something in common  :)  Families are so incredibly important but yet I think we take them for granted.  Often times we seem to find it easier to be nice to complete strangers then to get along with those that should matter most to us.  That seems a bit backwards to me, but what do you think?  
Family Photo (Taken while I'm on mission, hence the floating head) 


The reason that family is on my mind now is that I was able to speak with them on Christmas!  As a missionary Christmas is a great time of the year for two reasons.  One, everyone ia so focused on Christ that  people are more open to talk about Him.  Two, Christmas is one of only two times of the year that we are able to talk to our family as I alluded to above (the other is Mother's day).  We write or email once a week but Christmas day we can actually call home.  I had the chance to do this via Skype with a webcam so I could see and hear my family which was awesome.  When my nieces and nephews came into view and we started chatting I just got the biggest smile.  

Screenshot from Christmas Skype Call :)  My brother loves his dog as you can tell haha!

Sadly not everyone feels the same way about their family.  I know that no family is perfect.  We all have challenges and our relationships will be tested.  However I know that if we apply the gospel to our lives we will be happier and our relationships with our family members will be stronger.  I would like to share a quote from something God has revealed to the prophet and apostles.  It is titled, "The Family:  A Proclamation To The World".  Here is just a little snippet as well as a link to read the entire thing which I recommend you do.  

First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

"WE, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children...Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. " Family Proclamation

Take some time to think about what really matters in your life.  If you decide family really does matter to you. make sure your actions convey the same message.  Tell your family  you love them, show them you love them, and live the gospel.  See how your life changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment